Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Wish Weasel, Web Series, Review And Interview




Wish Weasel is over the top in its tribute, and parody to the 1990s and earlier television shows and movies. This is done for comedic affect and going for the laugh when looking back on shows many of us watched.

Wish Weasel was screened at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Web Series.                          

If you like to go down that strange path of reminiscing and laughing at what you used to find enjoyable, check out Wish Weasel.

Synopsis

In this campy 90s sci-fi fantasy, a magical weasel crash lands in Queens and befriends a girl who's down on her luck.

Dan McNamara talks about what inspired Wish Wesel and him becoming a filmmaker. He also shares some other things he likes .

What was the inspiration for Wish Weasel?

I had just received a life-saving living-donor liver transplant from my cousin and I wanted to create an independent web series for the first time since being ill for many years. I have been a visual effects artist and animator for about 15 years and I started getting interested in visual effects when I was 12 so I decided to make what my 12-year-old self would have made if he had the post-production experience that I have at 35 as a professional visual fx artist and animator. So Wish Weasel is heavily inspired by what I watched in the 1990s as a kid. Shows like The Muppets, Jim Henson's Storyteller, Power Rangers, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Ultra Man. I found inspiration from the over-merchandized Saturday morning cartoons shows I watched. Wish Weasel is a live-action sci-fi fantasy comedy adventure and a parody of 90s television.

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

Wish Weasel has taken up a lot of time over the last 2 years and I have had ideas of developing a second season which could be a comic book or animated. I also was an official selection at the origins game fair in Ohio and it got me interested in developing a Wish Weasel card game. Hard to say if I am willing to further develop Wish Weasel but we'll see what kind of reaction it gets at festivals. I am currently writing a mockumentary about a survivalist/poet/public access star from South Jersey who mysteriously disappears after he's found out to be a fraud. It's based off a character I created and do live at comedy shows in NJ/NYC.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I remember as a teen watching South Park, UCB, and TV Funhouse on Comedy Central and realizing that I wanted to make my own show with a similar tone. It spoke to me and brought me joy and I thought I could give that joy to viewers of my own work. Laughing is important to me.

What would be your dream project?

I like working in comedy and visual fx. Whatever job/project allows me to keep doing that is perfect for me. It's worked out every few years!

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I love collecting Metal t-shirts, watching kung fu movies and bad 80/90s movies, reading about politics, sending cat photos to my wife, and keeping myself healthy!

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

Hahaha, this question is so hard! I would have to say any film by John Carpenter is amazing. Jurassic Park is amazing. Terminator 2 is amazing. Time Bandits is amazing. Labyrinth is amazing. HellRaiser is amazing. I can't pick one movie. I love all those films because they're incredibly creative, build a world, have a specific tone, play with reality, and take fantasy seriously.

You can find out more about Wish Weaselon


You can also watch the Wish Weaseltrailer on YouTube (link)

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).




No comments: