Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Volunteer Lately?

Today the entire finance org at work in Bellevue had a volunteer day where we went out to 3 different areas in groups of 40-50 people to volunteer for the day instead of work. I was at Hopelink in Kirkland and others were at the Ronald McDonald House in Seattle, and the others were at Marymore Park in Redmond (too crappy and cold to choose this place for me)! We sorted 18,000 pounds of food, filled the grocery shelves/pantry to the tune of 4,000 pounds of food in the food bank, stacked and crated this food, and then also bagged oats and rice. Afterwards we had happy hour at the Liquid Lime (a very seedy, surly bar - to me)...it was fun, but definitely lots of hard work lifting and bending...I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow!! I also had a Mike's Hard Lemonade - Pomegranate flavor.............can you say YUMMY:-)

It was a great day and makes you think about what you can do to help those less fortunate and all of the food wasted because we buy it and the stuff expires; don't send it to food banks; do us all a favor and throw it out yourself please!

No comments: